Monday, October 19, 2009

Dilly Deli Strand salad





Strand salad

This salad is my take on one served at one of my parent's favorite little restaurant, Dilly Deli. The salad mixes cool, sweet and spicy. I like to add a crispy element with salmon. They serve it grilled but since I don't have a grill (sad face) I pan-sear my version.

I really like the crispiness that the skin adds so I keep mine on. Make sure all the scales are removed and the whole thing is as dry as you can get it. They cook well in 4-oz. portions, which is around the size of a small fist, eyeball it. don't bust out the scale for this.

Strand Salad
serves 2
my version of Dilly Deli's



2 4-oz salmon filets with skin, on the thick side (around 1")
salt and fresh ground pepper
1 tbsp vegetable oil

2 cups (again, eyeball this) mix of baby greens and romaine lettuces
1 granny smith apple, cut into 1-inch cubes (don't cut until right before you add to the mix)
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted in a dry skillet if you like
goat cheese, crumbled or in small pieces

Curry Vinaigrette:
So I'm gonna be honest, I almost never measure my vinaigrette ingredients. This is an approximation, so if you have a ratio that you like, stick with it.

1/4 cup cider vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp dijon mustard
1 tsp muchi curry powder (more for more heat, less for less)
1/3 cup oil
a few pinches of salt to taste
a few cracks of fresh ground pepper

Season the salmon lightly with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.

In a medium-high pan (i prefer something NOT non-stick) with a tbsp of vegetable oil, place the fish skin-side down. With another heavy pan (wrapped in foil for easy cleanup) press the fish down. Let that cook for 3 minutes, then start checking. when the fish easily lifts up from the pan, flip it. Press, cook for another few minutes until the fish is firm and doesn't fall apart but is not mushy or too dry.

While your fish is cooking, prepare your salad.

I like to use a mix of romaine hearts and baby greens for contrasting textures. Mix the vinegar and garlic. let sit for a few minutes to mellow the garlic. Mix in mustard, curry powder and a pinch of kosher salt. Slowly whisky in the oil in a slow stream until emulsified and thickened.

In a large bowl combine lettuce, pine nuts and apple pieces. Toss in the dressing. Plate the salad and top with goat cheese. A lot of goat cheese with help to cut the curry's spiciness. Top with your crispy salmon and dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment